History of the Aerodrome of Haguenau
1916 - 1918 / In 1916, the Germans decide to build an aerodrome in Haguenau, initially dedicated to the fighters and bombers pilots training sent to the French Front. The layout includes the construction of ten hangars. The contract will be signed in 1917 between the City and the German Reich Ministry of War. The first bombing of the Haguenau airfield takes place on the 2 nd September 1918. This same year is founded on the field the "Arthur SASSE" flying school, which is part of the Deutsches Fliegenbund.
1918 – 1939 / The war is over and the field is now French again and is used for various events organized by the French Aeronautical Societies
1939 – 1945 / During the WWII, the aerodrome is used alternately by the two sides to the conflict. In 1940, the German undertake important works to build "concrete" runways. Around 1942, the field is home to a Messerchmitt BF110 Flieggruppe and other airplanes. The field is seriously bombarded on the 25 March 1944 by the Allied Forces. At the Liberation of Haguenau, the Americans repair the aerodrome, which will be used as a rear base for allied fighters and bombers until the capitulation of the Reich.
1945 – 1985 / The Flying club is founded in 1948, on the 16 th June 1948 exactly. It has both a "Soaring" section and an "Airplane" section. Both activities will be split in 1975 with the creation of the Aero-Club of Haguenau and of the Centre de Vol à Voile de Haguenau. There is also on the field an aeromodel club, the Model Air Club.
1985 bis heute / Now: In 1985, the aerodrome is reorganized by the City of Haguenau. It takes in charge the transfer of the installations along the current runway "03-21" – NNE and SSW). The field has a 995 concrete runway and a 970 grass runway, three hangars, two club-houses, a restaurant and an administrative building. An experimental builder's club is also installed on the field.