Auteur
geemong
15 Sep 2021 - 09:39:24
215 Posts
Inside a GP surgery: 'There is not enough time or space in the day'

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/10E86/production/_120545296_tv070606947.jpg

Not only has the Covid pandemic put GP surgeries across England under immense pressure, it has also caused significant backlogs of work they are now trying to clear. The BBC has spent the morning inside one NHS practice to hear how staff and patients are coping.

Easy and convenient to download the app got it today With technology that is smart, modern, safe and more convenient to play xo games via mobile, easy to apply for membership by yourself.

The Harborough Field Surgery near Rushden, Northamptonshire, has nearly 13,000 patients on its roll.

Those behind the reception desk say the surgery is almost unrecognisable from how things operated before the pandemic - with telephone appointments, volunteers marshalling the car park and blood pressure readings being sent electronically by patients.

Its nine-strong team of GPs, along with the rest of the staff, are trying to clear the backlog of work which has built up since March 2020.

'There is not enough time or space in the day'
Dr Seamus Kelly, a GP partner at the practice, says the past 18 months have been unlike anything he has previously experienced in the NHS.

"It has been a huge, huge change in everything we've done and all the alterations we've done," he says.

Such changes include how staff deal with patients and each other.

"The whole pandemic has been horrendous," he says. "But there has been some good in there as well.

"The big thing that we've found to be good is the spirit of the staff - they came together and put the extra time in to do the best for the patients.

'I can usually speak with someone that day'
Linzi Pearsall, 33, lives in Rushden, and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis earlier this year.

She has seen first-hand the immense pressure the surgery has been under.

"It was then that I used to come into the surgery and see how busy they were, especially with the Covid vaccine.

"I actually volunteer now to help out because I saw what a good service they were offering. I thought maybe if I give my time back, I can give back to the doctors at the same time."

up