Auteur
Met Certos
21 Jul 2021 - 13:44:37
65 Posts
As with many RV questions, the answer is, “it depends.”

If you find a well-maintained older RV that has lived an easy life, you can probably buy it for a fraction of what the cost of a new one is. In this case, the used example will be much less expensive. You will have to factor in things like maintenance and repairs, but these can be relatively inexpensive, if done yourself. Which brings me to another variable: your repair abilities and skill level.

If you’re very handy, and can tackle decent-sized repair and maintenance projects, then used is definitely the way to go, as you can save a good bit on the repairs. But, if you’re going to be relying on a dealer/service center to do all the work for you, then new may be a better way to go, since labor costs can reach close to $100 an hour in the US.

Very detailed inspections are necessary when buying an older trailer. Water damage is the #1 killer of RVs, as it only takes a small, uncontrolled leak to cause thousands of dollars in damage. Usually, roof leaks and window leaks are the cause of water damage, but occasionally, the damage comes from broken pipes due to freeze damage, or other reasons.

As a note, don’t assume that buying new will be trouble-free, either. When I purchased my brand-new Rockwood Mini Lite trailer in 2017, it returned to the dealer for warranty work once, and I did two minor, inexpensive repairs myself to avoid the downtime of going to the dealer. I have to admit I’ve been very fortunate, as I know more than a few people who purchased an RV and had countless issues. Most RVers I know who have bought new RVs have had to have some kind of warranty work performed on their unit within the first year or two.

So, the short answer is that, if you’re handy, and know how to thoroughly inspect a used travel trailer, it is probably cheaper in the long run to go that route. But, if you’re new to RVing, and aren’t sure what to look for, a new, or very nearly new unit with a warranty is the way to go.

up
AhmedJanuzi
21 Jul 2021 - 15:59:53
20 Posts
I recently told my brother on https://www.zervs.com/used-rvs/cheap-pop-up-campers I found a great option. If you want I can help you with your choice

up