Auteur
bigseobazar
02 Nov 2020 - 05:29:39
812 Posts
Proof of onward travel causes endless confusion amongst travellers, so it’s good to know what your options are and to do a little bit of research into your next country beforehand. Sometimes airport staff get it wrong as well – I’ve once had to argue my way onto a flight from South Korea to Vietnam, which doesn’t require proof of onward travel.

Proof of onward travel seems to be requested more often in South East Asia (probably due to the high volume of expats doing monthly visa runs). I've also been questioned when flying into the UK as well.

www icq msn yim aim 
up
alexanderdebrahan
02 Nov 2020 - 05:30:05
262 Posts
A flight ticket out of the country you're visiting is the best proof of onward travel. Technically, bus or train tickets should be accepted as well, but a flight ticket is your safest bet as this is what border control is used to. If you're not sure, you should try and find an official source (e.g. the government website of the country you're visiting) or play it safe with one of the options below.

up
danielhowell
02 Nov 2020 - 05:30:16
175 Posts
Countries that definitely require proof of onward travel include Peru, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Philippines, Indonesia, Brazil, Costa Rica and Panama.

My personal experience of being asked for proof of onward travel was flying into Thailand. I was also asked for proof when flying to Vietnam, but I did my research and found that proof of onward travel was not needed. I showed my evidence to the check-in desk at Bangkok Airport, and they finally let me through.

I tried digging around some more to find a more comprehensive list, but couldn't find one - not to mention, it probably changes from time to time. Renting a ticket alleviates this uncertainty altogether, but if you want to check your destination's government resources - more power to you!

www msn yim aim 
up
bigseobazar
02 Nov 2020 - 05:30:24
812 Posts
My first experience with a request for proof of onward travel was when I flew with a one-way ticket from Sydney to Thailand several years ago. I intended to catch an overnight bus into Cambodia before my one-month visa expired, but I wasn’t sure when – so I didn’t have a ticket yet.

Thailand requires an onward ticket, and I didn’t want to pay for one. So, like any self-respecting digital native of the 21st century, I went to the internet to find answers. And as always, the internet delivered: with hundreds of pages of conflicting advice from self-proclaimed “experts”, hare-brained theories and generally inconsistent anecdotes.

www icq msn yim aim 
up
alexanderdebrahan
02 Nov 2020 - 05:30:33
262 Posts
While it’s possible that you won’t be asked for proof of onward travel at the airport, it’s a good idea to be prepared on the off-chance that it might happen. Life is full of unexpected surprises: tour taxi to airport could be late, there could be traffic… and you might get denied entry when boarding your flight.

This leaves you with no choice but to book an onward flight (or follow one of the options below), and if you’re short on time, you might end up missing your flight altogether. The alternatives are so simple that there really is no point in risking it.

up
Heatherkirk
02 Nov 2020 - 19:35:25
389 Posts
These laws are in place to avoid illegal immigration. Of course, most backpackers, digital nomads, and travelers aren’t really looking to immigrate full-time into these countries, they’re simply looking to stay for a few weeks and then move on. Proof of onward travel is typically shown in the form of a booked flight itinerary from the country you’re visiting another country. It doesn’t have to be back to your homeland, simply an onward ticket out of the country.

www msn yim aim 
up
Greg Bjorg
02 Oct 2021 - 19:44:15
576 Posts
This is the first time I hear that there must be proof of onward travel. Probably, we are talking about connecting flights or something like that, I did not understand it very well. As far as I remember, the last time I needed only my 5-year russian passport and some other documents that I had prepared in advance.

www icq msn yim aim 
up
pikachu chu
05 Oct 2021 - 12:17:34
29 Posts
Great information, I will recommend it to my friends for them to check out. Thanks for sharing! If you have more time, please visit: mapquest driving directions

www icq 
up